- Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.” Matthew 16. 24, New Living Translation
- Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Philippians 2.3
Jesus expects his followers to generously share their time, talents, and material possessions. He expects them to function as a nurturing family unit that supports and encourages each member. He also expects them individually and collectively to do good deeds within and outside of the faith community. The following list highlights five characteristics of Christian Discipleship.
- Forgiving – as Christ has forgiven.
- Humble – not promoting self.
- Generous – compassionate, considerate and kind .
- Peaceful – as much as possible .
- Hardworking – diligent
Food for Thought
- Read Philippians 2.3-11.
- In what way is Jesus’ call for selfless living counter-cultural?