Several years ago I read Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living. The small but compelling book was written by the late United Methodist Bishop Rueben P. Job. Ever since my initial reading, the book’s theme: “stay in love with God, do good, do no harm,” has tugged at my spirit. In fact, over the years I have frequently found myself thinking about it, reciting it to myself, trying to apply it to my life, and sharing it with others. Two questions that arose from those contemplations, and the answers, are noted below.
How does one stay in love with God?
How is that love manifested?
The Response –
- Get to know God intimately through Scripture.
- Put God first.
- Look for ways to please God daily.
- Memorize verses of Scripture for personal spiritual growth.
- Meditate on Scripture day and night.
- Practice godly living.
- Pray always and about everything.
- Praise God!
- Have faith in God!
- Worship God (Worship stems from and takes place in the heart.)