I usually spend the two or three weeks immediately preceding my birthday to: reminiscence and romanticize the past; cautiously assess the present, and prayerfully plan for the future.
This year’s birthday reflections are a little different. So far, I have spent most of the time wondering how this stage of my life will differ significantly (other than being affected by those things that come naturally with age) from the first two stages.
The musings about my future evoked the following questions.
- What specific steps will I take to make wherever I am better?
- In what new ways will I exercise stewardship?
- What do I want to change about myself, and how will I make those changes?
- How will I practice doing no harm (doing good is relatively easy)?
- Which relationships will I cultivate; which will I bury?
- For what things am I most grateful?
My response to the last reflection question is noted below, and that question is the impetus for the next six posts.
Day 1 of Seven Days of Announcing Seven things for which I am Most Grateful
1. A nurturing and loving relationship with the Creator
2. Forgiven and free to forgive
3. Peace that surpasses understanding
4. Experiencing a reasonable portion of good health and strength
5. Living life on my terms: still creating and moving forward and up
6. Doing things that make me happy, without hurting others
7. Thankful for finding pleasure in little things